ProductCamp Melbourne 2015

Hi Camp-goer,

Product Camp is an un-conference so attendees can also be presenters! If you haven’t been to an un-conference or Product Camp before, see last year’s summary and feel free to ask us questions.

Talks at Product Camp Melbourne 2015 will follow 3 topic streams. The ideas below are just that – ideas & potential talks. If one catches your eye, offer to lead the session. Or use these to help brainstorm what you want to talk about!

Each talk will be ~40 minutes long and should include time for questions. Interactive sessions are always well received. Slides are not required (though screens available if you want). For more detail on the themes check out our guidelines and suggestions.

• Theme 1 – Customer Research
  • Theme 2 – Finance
  • Theme 3 – Product Management 101
  • Lightening Talks – Want to dip your toe into the water? Not sure if you have enough to discuss in 40 minutes (HA! you’ll be surprised!)? Then suggest your topic for a 10 minute session in the lightening talks. Your 10 minutes needs to include question time.

To ensure you hear the talks you want then can get involved in Product Camp Melbourne in a few different ways:

• LEAD a topic. Want to lead a discussion or present within one of our themes? Then post it below or go off theme if you have a killer topic the community must hear about.
  • SUGGEST a topic. If there is a burning topic within our themes you’d love to hear covered but not sure you want to lead that discussion? Post what you’d like to hear and note it needs a speaker. We will help get that topic covered if others vote on it as well.
  • SUGGEST a speaker you think would be great to hear and what topic you’d love to hear them talk about and we will seek them out for you.
  • Last, but not least VOTE :-) you don’t have to be submitting a topic but your votes will decide the content of the day, so get in and choose your favourites. You have 10 votes to work with.

Check the Product Camp Melbourne website for other announcements. And for any questions email us info at productanonymous.com

What talks do we need at ProductCamp Melbourne 2015?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Product Management without Managers: experiences with a democratic approach to decision making

At YourGrocer we have been experimenting for 6 months with the idea of having a democratic approach to product management, where every employee votes for the improvements they want to see to the product.

I would like to present about how the idea works currently, the iterations we had on it and learnings from the experience so far

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Thrown in the Deep End: Your First Product Management Experience

Share the good and the bad from your first Product Management role. How did you succeed? What would you do differently?

Be great to hear the lessons learnt to pass onto those wishing to enter Product Management.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Thought Leadership: How to see the future when we're stuck in the present

It seems we are in charge of the product - so perhaps we should have a view of what we're going to do next with it.

So what is thought leadership?
        Where does it come from?
        And how do we make time for it?

11 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Stop Writing Bad Business Cases

Business Cases have a poor reputation! And so they should. Many are based on bad guesses at best. We have no choice but to put rubbish in them because organisations are more focused on understanding the cost of the investment instead of the benefits.

But there is a better way to structure and produce Business Cases that are meaningful and dare I say it, useful.

We'll talk about the steps required to put together a Business Case that satisfies many of the stakeholders in an organisation.

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • You have your product, now how to get those key influencers to support and back your product.

I will show you how to market your product on a shoestring budget and build a loyal following.

We will create a digital channel plan together that will really pack a punch but won't cost you the earth.

I will demonstrate how to set objectives and key targets that hold your marketing vendors accountable. Because at the end of the day we want to demonstrate an R.O.I.

I will show you how to build a digital strategy that keeps you in the drivers seat.

I will show you how to create a loyal following that will not only instigate W.O.M…

18 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Advanced JTBD: focus your product innovation effort

Instrumenting your application with analytics is fantastic. It gives you everything you need to identify where you need to improve, and to bump up that net promoter score.

But what do you do when you actually invest your scarce spare time in ideation and trade-off horizon 2 and 3 items on the roadmap.

This presentation and interaction discussion will show you how you can practically utilise jobs to be done (JTBD) and the outcome driven innovation (ODI) methods to achieve focus and back it up with facts.

16 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • What do Product Managers do all day?

Get ready to share your calendar & talk about what an actual day is like as a Product Manager. For people who are interested in becoming a product manager, you'll get a sense of what really happens.

12 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Admin →
                • Moments that Matter

Not all the touchpoints that customers have with your product have equal weight in determining how customers view your product.

In this talk we will explore the concept of "moments that matter"and look at how to identify these critical times in a customer journey.

We will also look at how to turn these moments into "wow" experiences and blow away your competition.

15 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Sold in 30 Seconds

You've built a great product, so why is it not selling like hotcakes?

Too many products are designed well but are very difficult to sell.

In this talk I'll describe the "sold in 30 seconds" concept which highlights the need to enable your sales force to quickly and easily explain the unique value of your product to customers, and close that sale!

26 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Getting into Product Mgmt - a panel

those interested in knowing how to get into Product Mgmt should vote for this one. We will organise a panel of PM's in the hiring area to talk on this topic and answer your questions. I (Liz) will be your facilitator.

9 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Using Service Design Thinking to make awesome products

What do you mean my product is a service!?! What does that even mean?

In the world of the always on, always connected consumer, all products exist in a Service ecosystem, indeed more and more of the products we create are in fact Services.

Service Design Thinking has emerged in the last 10 - 15 years as a powerful new way to think about and design Service experiences.

This is an opportunity to explore Human Centred Design mindsets and methodologies and how the can be used to make awesome products.

39 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Narrative UX: uniting brand, functionality, and users in the ultimate product experience

What is “narrative ux”? And why should you care?

To kick off this workshop, I’ll give you the lowdown on the emerging world of narrative UX. What’s it all about? And how can it help a product build engagement, reduce support costs, and maintain loyalty?

Then, we’ll workshop some of our favourite apps, and see how the principles of narrative UX help to make them great.

Through this process, you’ll understand:
                          - what happens at the coalface of narrative UX
                          - how narrative UX can unite your brand, functionality, and users
                          - how, to build narrative UX into your product…

24 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Does your online product support really work? What Analytics isn’t telling you.

Online support is part of any product offering. But does yours actually work?

In this case study presentation, I’ll show how a global b2b saas provider developed research methodologies to assess the practical efficacy of their support website. We’ll see the implications this research had for the support material, and the product itself.

You’ll learn:
                            - the key limitations of standard analytics packages when it comes to product support websites
                            - easy but effective research techniques that reveal much more than you’d expect
                            - how your support offering fits into the overall user experience in practice
                            - how to use…

23 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Using Customer Feedback As A Source of Innovation

We live in The Age of The Customer. Empowered buyers have greater access to information and more choice than ever before and through the power of social media they are all broadcasters. Their perception is your reality.

“Welcome to a new era of marketing and service in which your brand is defined by those who experience it.” – Brian Solis

Successful companies today actively listen to their customers and innovate based on an intimate understanding of who their customers are and what they are trying to achieve.

This presentation will focus on the sources of feedback available to you and…

14 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Admin →
                              • Bring your new roadmap to life

You’ve created a new, exciting, kick-ass list of initiatives, focused on your customers.

Putting in days, weeks, or even months of your blood, sweat and tears, you’ve come up with a roadmap you are truly proud of.

Then… when you present your new pride and joy, you get questions like these:

- “Why are we doing this if its not going to make us money?” | Get the chance to provide back consumer value and strategic initiatives instead of having a roadmap of just commercial projects and dollar signs.

- “What date will I get this?” | How to respond…

42 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Made for People - a values lead approach to design

I believe there are three modes that we create - made for self, made for company or made for people.

This lightening talk will explore how successful people centered design shines through, that are the key ingredients and how you can make sure you only work on projects that are made for people.

In 2008 I stopped working on projects that weren't Made for People, I made it a value that I'd present at engagement time. It went along the lines at some point I might need to leave the project as I only know how to Make for People,…

21 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)